Shabby Background

Monday, June 16

To travel is to eat


A certain Michelle Shapiro says that (title) in a poster on Pinterest and Beach House Turks and Caicos commented: 
Make sure while you are traveling you are eating.  Not only to survive, but to explore the culture. They [sic] way people eat and the different types of foods and spices can explain a lot about a culture, with no words at all you can be inspired by so many different things associated with eating alone.
I was in Vietnam recently. And explore Vietnamese food I did. The photo is taken from one of those meals during our Halong Bay cruise.

A Vietnamese blogger who lives in Australia says that "up until 2006-2007, Viet cookbooks were so few and hard to understand. I guess before Asian cuisines become popular in the western world, describing native Vietnamese ingredients was not easy. Now, things have changed for the better! There are more ingredients available, and some excellent cookbooks on Vietnamese cuisine have been published."

This is a list of Vietnamese Cookbooks:

1. The Little Saigon Cookbook by Ann Le (reviews)
2. Vietnamese Home Cooking by Charles Phan (reviews)
3. Vietnamese Food by Bobby Chinn (reviews)
4. Authentic Recipes from Vietnam by Trieu Choi & Marcel Isaak (reviews)
5. My Vietnamese Kitchen by Uyen Luu (reviews)
6. The Food of Vietnam by Luke Nguyen (reviews)
7. Recipes from a Vietnamese Kitchen by Ghillie Basan (reviews)
8. The Vietnamese Market Cookbook by Van Tran (reviews)
9. Into the Vietnamese Kitchen by Andrea Nguyen (reviews)
10. Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table by Mai Pham (reviews)
11. The Songs of Sapa by Luke Nguyen (reviews)
12. Secrets of the Red Lantern by Pauline Nguyen et.al (reviews)
13. Wild, Wild East: recipes and stories of Vietnam by Bobby Chinn & Jason Lowe (reviews)

Thanks to our hosts: Favorite Things * Thursday 13Blue Monday

10 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel,

    Beautiful blue and white china. Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Blue Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are braver than I! Lovely blue lid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, insects are a Vietnam culinary theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love checking out new recipe books. Several of these authors are familiar since they have cooking shows on our TV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love looking at new recipe books. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Vietnamese food, but I have to admit, I am unlikely to try the kind that has six or more legs! However, one of my cousins once shared with me an interesting documentary about switching from current meat sources to insects. I thought I could probably make the leap to eating scorpion as they are not much different from creatures such as shrimp, and I even thought that I might be able to give the grasshopper burger a go.
    The poem that I created for the Thursday 13 may contain bugs, but not the multi-legged kind!
    http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/06/at-crack-of-dawn.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect I might still have trouble getting my hands on some of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very Cool. I think I need to check out one of these cookbooks. I'd love to try Vietnamese food.

    http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-2014-write-touch-conference.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting list! A great way to explore new areas, too, as you note. Nice TT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit it: I'm a discerning eater (I refuse to say fussy, LOL) and would make a horrible world traveler. I'm especially not fond of any spicy cuisine. My T13: Arboretum Walk No. 1

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...